The best thing about this roast is that you can pop it into the oven and forget about it. Come back in a few hours later and you will find a delicious feast awaiting you.
4 medium brown onions, peeled, each onion cut into 8 wedges
3 large carrots, peeled, each carrot cut into 4 wedges
5 cloves garlic, peeled
3 large sprigs rosemary
5-6 sprigs thyme
1kg Cherry Tree Organics traditional beef roast
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon salt
1-1/2 tablespoons cornflour
Roast potatoes, to serve
Sautéed greens, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 250˚C (230˚C fan-forced).
2. Place the carrots and onions into a large roasting tray . Place the garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme in the centre of the tray. Pop the beef roast on top of the garlic and herbs, ensuring the garlic is tucked under the meat.
3. Rub the olive oil and salt all over the beef.
4. Place into the hot oven and cook for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, remove the tray from the oven. Turn the heat down to 140˚C (120˚C fan-forced). Cover the tray thoroughly with foil and return to the oven.
6. Roast for an additional 4 hours, by which time the meat should be easily pierced with a fork.
7. Carefully drain the juices from the pan into a small saucepan. Using a spoon, scoop out about half of the onions from the tray and place them the saucepan with the the juices. The onions should be soft and caramelised. Set aside.
8. Place the foil back on the roast, then pop a damp tea towel over the foil. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, make the gravy. Place the cornflour into a small bowl and mix with 2-3 tablespoons of cold water, until you form a paste.
10. Heat the juices and onions over a medium flame. Add the cornflour and water mix. Whisk continuously until the gravy has thickened. Remove from the heat.
11. Carve the roast into thin slices. It will be super tender but will hold its shape. Serve alongside the roasted carrots, the remaining onions and the onion gravy. Some crunchy roast potatoes and sautéed greens would also be a delicious addition.